Recreation Pool Closed on 14 April
The Recreation Pool will be closed for a Club event on 14 Apr 2018 (Sat) from
apologisefor the inconvenience caused.
Barber Shop Closed on Mondays
Golden Scissors Barber Shop will be closed on Mondays beginning 19 Mar 2018 (Mon) until further notice.
apologisefor the inconvenience caused.
Jackson Miller Open Daily in March and April
Jackson Miller will open every day from 13 Mar 2018 (Tue) to 30 Apr 2018 (Mon), including Tuesdays when the restaurant is normally closed.
Library Closed for Inventory Check
The Club Library will be closed for two days on 9 & 10 Apr 2018 (Mon & Tue) for an inventory check and removal of outdated publications.
We are looking for volunteers to assist with this task. Interested parties may contact the Events Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Suit against 5 members of 2011 Management Committee, namely ERIC NG, TAN WEE TIN, WILLIAM KWOK, LOREEN TEO & ANDY TANG HOCK KENG
1. The Club’s lawyers, WongPartnership had advised the Club that the 2011 Management Committee (“2011 MC”) was in breach of fiduciary duties for allowing the Club to make further payments for ex-President, Freddie Koh’s legal expenses even after the Court of Appeal had found that Freddie had acted with malice when he made the defamatory statements against 4 former MC members. These payments were not in the interest of the Club.
2. In mid-August 2016, letters were sent to the 2011 MC demanding payment of these legal expenses.
3. Five (5) members of the 2011 MC approached the Club and reached a settlement by paying an unspecified sum in full and final settlement.
4. In October 2016, legal proceedings for about $391,000.00 were instituted against the other five 2011 MC members, namely ERIC NG, TAN WEE TIN, WILLIAM KWOK, LOREEN TEO and ANDY TANG HOCK KENG (“5 Defendants”) who refused to settle with the Club.
5(a). Unknown to the Club, the 2011 MC had in February 2012, at the suggestion of Legal Solutions (the Club’s then Solicitors), sought an authoritative opinion from Stuart Isaacs, Queen’s Counsel (“QC”).
5(b). The QC gave 3 opinions on 23 February 2012, 27 February 2012 and 2 March 2012, which in summary stated:-
(i) The Members’ Requisition dated 18 January 2012 for an Extra-ordinary General Meeting is neither ultra vires nor improper;
(ii) The Court of Appeal’s finding of malice meant Freddie Koh is not acting in the discharge of duties and responsibilities for and on behalf of the Club as an office bearer;
(iii) In agreeing to indemnify Freddie Koh for his legal expenses after the Court of Appeal’s finding of malice, the 2011 MC may be in breach of fiduciary duties to the Club.
6. In essence, the QC had advised that the Club should not make any payment for Freddie Koh’s legal expenses. However, these 3 QC opinions were suppressed from the Club by the 5 Defendants. None of these 3 QC opinions nor copies were found in any of the Club’s files. These 3 QC opinions were also not disclosed to the members at the 4 March 2012 EGM. In fact, ERIC NG and/or LOREEN TEO informed Legal Solutions that the QC opinion was to be directed to Freddie Koh’s lawyers, M/s Bajwa & Co.
7. It was only in October/November 2016 that the Club, through
MrRobin Tan, discovered these 3 QC opinions and the suppression by the 5 defendants. MrRobin Tan was tasked by the Management Committee to assist the Club in the claim against the 5 Defendants.
8. To save time and legal costs, the Club through WongPartnership gave
an Offerto Settle to the 5 Defendants to pay $380,000.00 and costs to be agreed or taxed (“OTS”) in settlement of the Club’s claim against them. The 5 Defendants accepted the OTS on 28 February 2018 and paid the $380,000.00 with costs yet to be agreed or taxed.
9. On behalf of the Club, the Management Committee would like to thank
MrRobin Tan for his guidance and assistance in this matter.
Dining Chairs for Sale
We have 140 used dining chairs that require reconditioning, for bulk sale.
Interested parties may contact William at 8265 3355 or email WilliamT@sswimclub.org.sg to arrange for
The proposed amount for the bulk purchase of the 140 chairs is to be submitted in a sealed envelope and deposited into the box
labelled‘Bidding Box’ at the Administration Office by 6pm, 29 Mar 2018 (Thu).
Entire Recreational Pool Available after 8.30am during March School Holidays
Recreational swimmers will be able to use the entire Recreational Pool after 8.30am* on 12 (Mon), 13 (Tue), 14 (Wed), and 16 Mar 2018 (Fri) during the upcoming school holidays, as we will be adjusting the swim training timing on these four days to start an hour earlier at 6.30am so that training ends by 8.30am.
Should recreational swimmers choose to swim during the training timing of 6.30am to 8.30am, they can still use half of the two lanes (25m each) closest to the Gym and the lane closest to The Palms (50m).
*Until training commences again at
Competition Pool to be Reconstructed
1. We have received the report by the civil engineer we engaged to advise on the structural stability of the Competition Pool, which is 37 years old and sits on reclaimed land. The engineer has recommended reconstruction of the pool, including replacing the existing pump and filtration systems, as a more cost-effective and long-term solution.
2. The Management Committee has deliberated at length on the matter and agreed to use the contingency fund of $1.5 million that has been budgeted for any structural repairs that might have been caused by LTA’s tunneling works and/or reconstruction of swimming pool and/or other repairs due to earth movement. The budgeted amount was approved at Annual General Meeting 2017.
3. The Loss Adjuster for LTA’s main contractor doing the tunneling works along Tanjong Rhu Road had earlier made an assessment of the pool situation and has denied liability. We are engaging a Qualified Person to perform an independent assessment for the Club of the impact of LTA’s works on the pool’s structure.
4. We will next call for an open tender for the design and build of the new pool. The tender specifications will be drawn out in consultation with the Integrated Estate Management and Swimming Sub-Committees. The appointed Qualified Person(s) will help ensure that the specifications comply with FINA’s requirements.
5. We estimate the project to take at least eight months to complete. We will provide members a more definitive and comprehensive timeline after the tender is awarded in May when we have received better clarity from the awarded vendor.
6. The Swimming Department is trying its utmost to free up as many lanes as possible during training times and adjust the training hours to better serve the needs of the recreational swimmers and participants of our swim programme. We appeal to recreational swimmers for your kind patience, understanding, and bigness of heart to share the Recreation Pool with the young swim programme participants as the training continues there meanwhile.
Revised Bye-law on Bicycles and Personal Mobility Devices
We have attached the revised Bye-law, which will take effect on 21 March 2018.